Plimmerton School

11 School Road
Plimmerton, Porirua 5026

PO Box 57146
Mana, Porirua 5247

04 233 8677
Email Us

Previous Updates

September 2021

August 2021

Taupo syndicate Blog

Written by Andy Tate

email updates to parents of Taupo syndicate level 4 2021

Update #05

Posted on 3 September 2021

Dear Parents/Caregivers,

We hope you have had a great week and managed to get out and enjoy the lovely sunny weather. 

The country is currently still at Level 3 so children will continue to work from home next week. We will send them a new home learning doc via their google classroom this afternoon, and have also attached a PDF of the tasks to this email for your information. I know many of you will be wondering about what is going to happen at Plimmerton School if/when the country enters Level 2. Please check your emails regularly as Mike Forrest will be contacting parents about this in the next few days. 

We try to include a wide variety of tasks on the home learning doc each week. Please encourage your child to read it carefully and choose the tasks that appeal to them. Please remind them to upload all the tasks they complete onto the Week 7 home learning doc. We have really enjoyed looking at the work they have been putting on the docs each week and have loved seeing all the photos and videos of things they have been doing. 

All the instructions for the Week 7 home learning tasks are on one doc and they need to do all their work on this doc. We have also attached a PDF of the tasks to this email for your information. (Remember each class will have a slightly different version depending on what class they are in.)

Plimmerton School expectations around home learning:-

• All learning activities are optional.
  • There is no expectation to complete any particular number of activities and there is no deadline for completion. 
  • If an activity is causing your child (or you) to be disinterested, disheartened or distressed it should be abandoned.

Zoom Catch Ups :

• In the past couple of weeks children and teachers have participated in class Zooms. These will be continuing next week and your child will receive an email from their class teacher for the 10.30am meeting time slot (and 1.30pm if the first one is missed)

If you or your child have any questions, queries or concerns about our home learning tasks, please don't hesitate to contact your child’s teacher and they will get back to you as soon as they can. Please be aware there may be a 24 hour turn around. 

Stay happy, stay positive, stay safe - we are all in this together.

Taupō Teachers!

No comments have been approved for this blog post yet.

Comment on this post...

update #04

Posted on 27 August 2021

Dear Parents/Caregivers,

We have now had one week of home learning and we would like to say a huge thank you to the Taupō Syndicate parents. We have really appreciated the support you have given your children and us during this strange time. 

We realise this can be a difficult time for families and would like to reiterate the message Mike Forrest sent out last year during lockdown:

“Everyone is trying their best in a new and complex situation to ensure everyone's needs are met. We want to reiterate our first priority is on well-being and harmony at home. When psychologist Nigel Latta was asked how much home schooling children really need to do during the lockdown he replied; “The simple answer is none, there are some kids who will want to do school work and that's great because teachers have worked really hard and there's lots of good content for them to do. So if the kids want to do it and it doesn't add stress for the parents, great. If you're trying to juggle work and a bunch of other things and the kids don't want to do it, and it's just adding stress, don't do it, and it will do them no harm at all.”

Next Monday is the start of Week 2 of home learning and children will be sent a new Class Taupō Syndicate Home Learning Plan on Friday afternoon. This will give you the weekend to check in with your child about their Home Learning Plan found on their Google Classroom.

All the instructions for the Week 2 home learning tasks are on one doc and they need to do all their work on this doc. We have also attached a PDF of the tasks to this email for your information. (Remember each class will have a slightly different version depending on what class they are in.)

• All learning activities are optional. 

Zoom Catch Ups :

We really enjoyed seeing so many children at the zoom catch ups last week. If your child has not joined the catch ups yet please encourage them to do so. It is a great way to catch up with their classmates.

Your child will continue to receive a message from their class teacher each day letting them know how to join it. We encourage all students to meet on Zoom at 10.30am each day. We are able to meet again at 1.30pm for any students who missed the first Zoom call. The session will be approximately half an hour.

If you or your child have any questions, queries or concerns about our home learning tasks, please don't hesitate to contact your child’s classroom teacher and they will get back to you as soon as they can. Please be aware there may be a 24 hour turn around. 

Taupō Teachers

Comment on this post...

Update #03

Posted on 22 August 2021

Dear Parents/Caregivers,

We hope you are surviving life at home in your bubbles and spending some quality family time together. 

Tomorrow is the first day of children working on their Taupō Syndicate Home Learning Plan. 

All the instructions for the home learning tasks are on one doc which has been sent to your child on google classroom on Friday afternoon. They just need to check on their device. We have also attached a PDF of the tasks to this email for your information. However, this document is the master copy and your child's doc on their class Google Classroom may differ slightly depending on what room they're in.

There is also a copy of the plan on the Taupō Syndicate page on the Plimmerton school website learning hubThe learning hub is a great place to go to see copies of all emails sent home as well as every syndicate's home learning plans.

Important things you need to know:

Students should only spend a maximum of 2 hours on their school work per day. This can be in blocks of time or spread across the day, but setting up regular work routines would be helpful.

• When your child is doing school related work they need to be signed in using their Plimmerton School email.

• Students will need to first make a copy of their class Home Learning doc unless their teacher has already made a copy for them (Each class differs) 

• They need to put all of their work they choose to do on the bottom of the new doc.

• Once they have completed a box in the MU-Learn or U-Learn grid, they should change the colour of the box to keep track of what they have finished 

• In the last grid are suggestions of other activities they may like to do.

• Teachers will be discussing students' work and activities during Zoom calls.

Zoom Catch Ups : 

Your child will receive an email from their class teacher each day letting them know the time of their Zoom chat and how to join it. We encourage all students to meet on Zoom at 10.30am each day. We are able to meet again at 1.30pm for any students who missed the first Zoom call.

The session will be no longer than half an hour and will be a chance for your child to catch up with some of their classmates. 

If you or they have any questions, queries or concerns about the tasks, please email your child's teacher and they will get back to you as soon as they can. Please be aware there may be a 24 hour turn around. 

• Taupo teachers :)

Comment on this post...

Update #02

Posted on 20 August 2021

Taupo Home Learning Monday 23 to Friday 27 August

Comment on this post...

update #01

Posted on 18 August 2021

Taupo syndicate email Wednesday 18 August

Kia ora Taupō Syndicate Whānau,

We know it will take some getting used to moving into level 4 lockdown again after not being in one for well over a year. 

We understand everyone is in different circumstances and households will vary in what they can manage. Our advice is to do what you can and make it work for you. If lockdown continues next week we will share a new weekly learning plan.

Feedback from our previous lockdown was of course varied, with some families wanting more and some less.The tasks below are suggestions and if your child does not manage to do all of these then that is fine.  If your child wants to do more then that is great. 

Teachers will be sending out links for a zoom to catch up with their class each day. There will be the option of two different times that your child can choose from. The times Taupō teachers will be zooming their class this week will be 11:30am and 1:30pm. These meetings are valuable to keep connected as a class.

Note: Teachers will not be doing class zoom calls on Friday’s as this will be a day to allow teachers to plan for the following week and have staff/syndicate meetings. 

Activities your child can work on for the next 2 days:

ULearn

They can continue on with their ULearn which is on google classroom. Within this doc are several learning activities. The novel to go with the activities is accessible on Google Classroom. 

Maths

Students have work on Google Classroom they can continue with. They also have Mathletics tasks to do.

Teachers will email their class a zoom link for tomorrow's catch up soon and if you or your child  have any questions please don't hesitate to email your teacher. Be aware we may not be able to respond to you immediately as many of us have children and dependents of our own we are looking after as well.

Please stay safe, happy and warm in your bubble.

Taupō Team

Andy, Jo, Clayton, Naomi and Adie :)

Comment on this post...