Plimmerton School

11 School Road
Plimmerton, Porirua 5026

PO Box 57146
Mana, Porirua 5247

04 233 8677
Email Us

LOGO.png

Plimmerton School BYOC

At Plimmerton School we are committed to developing our students’ digital competence. In Years 5 to 8 we integrate ICT across the curriculum allowing students to learn, create, share, and collaborate anywhere, at any time. This also enables students to personalise their learning experience.

We will be continuing a BYOC policy in Hongoeka and Taupō syndicates to ensure a good level of access to devices for our students. 

Our BYOC guidelines are outlined below. These are designed to give students access to the benefits of having their own device, at school and home, and provide a good value option for parents. 

• Chromebooks only (That’s why it is BYOC not BYOD) - The device option is restricted Chromebooks. Chromebooks are a robust device with a good battery life. They readily access the internet and the Google apps that are a key part of our digital learning platform. As they are internet based, they automatically update, and are less often affected by computer viruses and malware. As they use cloud-based storage, they are easy to reset and without loss of data. This makes them an easy device for students to manage, with minimal down time.

• Year 5 to Year 8 can bring their own chromebook - in past years bringing your own device was restricted to Year 7 and 8s. By making this an option from Year 5 students have the benefit of up to 4 years of use of their own device.  Students who do not opt to bring their own device will still be provided with access to school-owned devices in the classroom.
  1. Device purchase available through Norrcom - Previously, parents have purchased a wide range of devices from a wide range of suppliers. Many parents found it challenging to know what was the best device for their child. By offering purchase directly through Norrcom, we can ensure that you get great pricing, and we have some consistency of devices used in the school. There are also options for insurance and extended warranty. 

• Option for extra management and security - We have a good level of oversight of student activity when in their school Google accounts, and excellent filtering of the internet when accessing from school. We recommend all BYOC chromebooks to have a Chrome management console. Chrome management console is available at no cost while your child is at Plimmerton School. Having the management console enables us to manage restrictions and settings on each device. In effect we will be able to control extensions and apps that can be installed on the devices, limit device access to Plimmerton School accounts and parents will be better able to monitor student use histories. We believe this will help us to keep our students more secure when online.  More information about the use of the management console can be found at this link

• If you would like your child's device to have the Chrome management console, please email the school office. 

Purchasing your BYO Chromebook 

The Norrcom purchasing portal is available at this link. Note - the passcode for the portal is plim09. 

The leading retailers (PB Tech, Noel Leeming and Harvey Norman) carry a good range of Chromebooks and the school recommends either the HP or Lenovo brand.