Plimmerton School

11 School Road
Plimmerton, Porirua 5026

PO Box 57146
Mana, Porirua 5247

04 233 8677
Email Us

LOGO.png

Plimmerton School BYOC for 2018

Our vision at Plimmerton School is "to provide a learning environment that prepares children for life”. As part of that vision we are committed to developing our students’ digital competence that is a necessity for their future.

A learner-centred curriculum that includes 1:1 digital devices supports greater flexibility in learning pathways, empowering students to learn in a more personalised way with increased control over their own learning. This can help students engage more deeply in their learning, expand opportunities for collaboration and problem-solving, and lift their achievement.

At Plimmerton School we are moving towards greater integration of ICT across the curriculum allowing students to learn, create, share, and collaborate anywhere, at any time. This enables students to personalise their learning experience.

We will be continuing a BYOD strategy, similar to the one we have been operating since 2015, to ensure 1:1 access for our students.

Changes for 2018

From next year we will be making some significant changes to the School’s BYOD policy. These changes are designed to give more students access to the benefits of having their own device, provide the option for better security at school and home, and provide a better value option for parents.

Key changes:

• Chromebooks only (That’s why it is BYOC not BYOD) - The device option will be restricted Chromebooks. Chromebooks are a robust device with a good battery life. They readily access the internet and the Google apps that are a key part of our digital learning platform. As they are internet based, they automatically update, and are less often affected by computer viruses and malware. As they use cloud-based storage, they are easy to reset and without loss of data. This makes them an easy device for students to manage, with minimal down time.

• Year 5 to year 8 can bring their own chromebook - over the past 3 years bringing your own device has usually been restricted to Year 7 and 8s. By making this an option from Year 5 students have the benefit of up to 4 years of use of their own device. This also makes it better value for money for as the cost is spread over 4 years.

• Device purchase available through Norrcom web portal - Over the past three years parents have purchased a wide range of devices from a wide range of suppliers. Many parents found it challenging to know what was the best device for their child. By offering purchase directly through Norrcom, we can ensure that you get great pricing, and we have some consistency of devices used in the school. There are also options for insurance and extended warranty on the Norrcom web portal. Note - the passcode for the portal is plim09

• Improved management and security - We have a good level of oversight of student activity when in their school Google accounts, and excellent filtering of the internet when accessing from school. From next year we will also be recommending all BYOC chromebooks to have a Chrome management console. Chrome management console is a one-off purchase and covers the life of a device. Having the management console enables us to manage restrictions and settings on each device. In effect we will be able to control extensions and apps that can be installed on the devices, limit device access to Plimmerton School accounts and parents will be better able to monitor student use histories. We believe this will help us to keep our students more secure when online.

More information about the use of the management console can be found at this link.

Purchasing your BYO Chromebook

The Norrcom purchasing portal is available from the link on this page. There are three devices that are robust, fit for purpose and good value. The current cost for the devices is between $305 and $327 excluding gst. There will also be options for:

• Insurance

• Extended 3 year warranty

• Carry bag

• The chrome management console

Chromebooks ordered before Friday 1st December will be delivered to school and available for collection before the end of the school year.

Chromebooks ordered in December and January will be available during the first 2 weeks of school.

Devices used for BYOD in 2017

There will be some students who have used their own device in 2017, that is not a chromebook as specified for 2018. These students can continue to use the device they purchased in 2017 for the remainder of their time at the school. We are not expecting parents to go out and buy another device! If your child has been bringing a chromebook to school, we can arrange for the Chrome management console to be added, for a one-off charge of approximately $43 +gst.